Tips for Getting Your Ideas Created & Adopted with Greg Satell - 107
Greg Satell spent 15 years living and working in Eastern Europe where, among other things, he managed a leading news organization during Ukraine’s Orange Revolution. During that time, he became friends with one of the main protagonists of the revolution, who now coaches people on starting a successful revolution!
After years spent in the trenches of a media outlet, followed by further research, Greg discovered the secret to creating new ideas and getting them adopted. That led to two books, Mapping Innovation, selected as one of the best business titles of 2017 and his new book, Cascades.
His work has appeared in Harvard Business Review, Barron’s, Forbes, Inc and Fast Company, and he is considered one of the foremost experts on innovation today. Greg also speaks around the world on these topics and works with leading organisations too.
I got Greg on the show because I believe these skills are important for speakers and because I believe Greg is an amazing storyteller too! Listen up for some nuggets of gold!
What we talk about:
- How Greg discovered the best way to innovate.
- Why we should be looking at the businesses that have endured, rather than the unicorns who struck lucky.
- Why you should always be looking for new problems to solve.
- Why it’s ecosystems rather than inventions that change the world.
- Why your solution to a problem could lead to more products and services you can offer.
- The biggest obstacle for new ideas and why the change management industry is failing.
- The wrong assumption we’re making about change.
- How the Serbian revolution led Greg to discover the secret to getting diverse groups to act in unison.
- How Elon Musk niched down for success when launching Tesla.
- Why you should look for ‘hair on fire’ customers.
- Why it’s important to ‘show’ rather than ‘tell’ as a speaker.
- Why you should start with a specific story about one person and then move to the general principle.
- How to keep your audience leaning in.
- Why humour can be so powerful in galvanising change and attracting followers.
- How Greg puts together his talks and the secret to becoming a great speaker.
- Why it’s really important to build shared values with your audience.
All things Greg:
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.