Best Of: Psychological Speaking Success with Richard Wiseman - 169
This episode was originally released a couple of years ago, and it definitely meets my ‘best of’ criteria.
Richard Wiseman is a powerhouse in many different worlds from entertainment to academia. He’s a multiple best-selling author, renowned academic, global speaker, and youtube influencer, which really doesn’t even scratch the surface of what he does!
Suffice to say he’s a man of many talents…he started off in magic and still acts as a creative consultant to the world’s best magicians and illusionists, TV shows, and movies…and if he’s not advising on them he’s presenting them. He is a Professor of Psychology, and his research has been published across the world, alongside being a 12-time author of some of the most popular business psychology books today. His books have been translated into over 20 languages, and many of them explore the science of success, and focus on practical, evidence-based, techniques that improve people’s personal and professional lives.
Alongside all of this he’s spoken globally for the likes of Google, Amazon, and The Royal Society, has two YouTube channels ‘In 59 Seconds’ and ‘Quirkology’ that have over 2 million subscribers and 500 million views. Described as one of the most “innovative experimental psychologists in the world today”, he’s clearly got lots to share on the secret of success, how to make your stuff, (even science stuff), engaging
- What are the genuine lessons of magic for performers and speakers
- Why you must understand things deeply to explain them simply
- Why speakers must find a skin they’re comfortable in
- How authenticity is a skill to be developed rather than a quality you have.
- Why you should throw your book away before you prepare a speech on it.
- How military tactics can be used as a planning structure for presentations.
- The most vital two minutes of your talk and tips for making this successful.
- The difference between performing and showing off and why this is important for speakers.
- How Richard uses humour in his talks, (including practical examples).
- Why the audience must believe it’s the first time you’ve done your talk… every time.
- How Richard adapts his talk depending on the audience.
- How to get the balance right between education and entertainment.
- A trick for getting people to remember the most important message of your talk or conversation.
- Richard’s top 3 tips for making your content engaging
- Why talks are like soap bubbles.
All things Richard Wiseman:
Quirkology - https://www.youtube.com/user/Quirkology
In 59 Seconds - https://www.youtube.com/user/In59seconds
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.