The Secret Stigma that Turned into a Superpower with Lexa Wokersien - 171
Lexa Wokersien has had a career in marketing and communications for 17 years, and during that time, in addition to juggling the demands of her job, she has been keeping a big secret.
Worried about what it would mean for her career should it come out, she has struggled alone to find workarounds and tools that will enable her to fulfil her potential despite being at a significant disadvantage to her peers.
Recently, Lexa came on my Snackable Story Challenge and over the course of five days she found that she had a powerful message to share.
Lexa is dyslexic, and she wants to tell her story so that other people in the same situation don’t have to hide away and cope on their own like she did.
When I heard about her journey and the potential her story had for showing other people with dyslexia that speaking and storytelling are possible for them, I knew I had to have her on the show.
What you’ll learn:
- What made Lexa decide to keep her dyslexia secret
- How she managed to keep it hidden for so long
- The stigma and shame she was trying to avoid and what toll it took
- How it affected the way she approached her career
- The new attitude she has towards her dyslexia and what shifted her perspective.
- What she would say to a younger version of herself looking back from today.
- The tools and techniques she has developed over the years to help her in her marketing role.
- Why organisations should embrace hiring a dyslexic person.
- Why she decided to take on a speaking challenge with me and what happened.
- The unexpected side effects of developing her storytelling and speaking skills.
- The new possibilities that have opened up for her and her future.
All things Lexa:
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.