Shifting from Awkward to Awesome in Public Speaking (Part 1) - 172
I was asked to do a session for Catherine Gladwyn’s membership on ‘How to Nail Public Speaking’... I didn’t choose that title…she did… now I can certainly get you a long way forward, but even I can’t teach you to nail public speaking in an hour!
In order to deliver the most value to this group of entrepreneurs and business owners, I asked Catherine to ask them a couple of questions…
- What problems / fears do you have around public speaking?
- What do you want to be like?
We had some great responses.
The top five fears centred around lack of confidence, concern about looking or feeling inadequate, forgetting what to say, and two around delivery in terms of filler words and being clear and articulate.
The top five desires were to be confident, relaxed, natural, interesting and entertaining and to have a presence.
So I created this interactive talk, which I’m sharing across two episodes, to move them closer to overcoming those problems and becoming the speaker they want to be.
And I hope it helps you too!
What you’ll discover:
- The honest admission I make about one of their biggest fears.
- The experience I had with a troll.
- The decision you need to make in relation to other people to be able to become a great speaker.
- What confidence is and how you build it.
- What you share when you feel completely comfortable.
- The three ingredients to becoming a great speaker.
- A framework for nailing the intention of your talk.
- Why you should avoid talking about how brilliant you are.
- How you should hook your audience in at the start of your talk.
- How you add value to the audience.
- The reasons why stories are so powerful and you should be using them.
- Why you should repurpose the same story and how to do it.
- The different ways you can use stories in your talks.
- Why you need to let go of worrying about perfect delivery and what you should concentrate on instead.
(Take a photo of your review and get a free e-copy of my book Cracking Speech Mate - How to Use Humour to Make You an Amazing Speaker!)
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- leave a comment below.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.