From Empty Corporate Buzzword to Your Competitive Edge… Collaboration with Deb Mashek - 251
We are overwhelmed with evidence of competition and divisiveness in our governments, in reality TV, and in the corporate world. However, in order to tackle the world’s biggest challenges, and indeed operate in business life, we need to be successful collaborators.
But … with little effective role modelling day to day, a complete lack of training in the education system and beyond, and our own survival instinct working against us … how do we get better at this crucial skill?
That’s where Dr. Deb Mashek, PhD, and guest on this show comes in.
Deb is the founder of Myco Consulting LLC, where she applies relationship science to help people collaborate better and companies to thrive. She is also an experienced business advisor, professor, higher education administrator, and national nonprofit executive, and the author of the forthcoming book Collabor(h)ate: How to build incredible collaborative relationships at work (even if you’d rather work alone).
She has been invited speaker on collaboration and viewpoint diversity at leading organizations including the United Nations and the American Psychological Association, and she has been featured in media outlets including MIT Sloan Management Review, The New York Times, The Atlantic, The Hechinger Report, Inside Higher Ed, Fortune, Reason, Business Week, University Business Insider, and The Hill. She writes regularly for Psychology Today.
In this show, Deb will be sharing the secrets to collaborating better, so that you can benefit and pay it forward!
What you’ll discover:
- How a heartbreaking childhood gave Deb her collaboration ‘super powers’.
- What ‘freeplay’ is and how companies can recreate that environment and context for younger generations.
- What relationship theory is and how it impacts successful collaboration.
- Why Deb has used such a provocative title for her book.
- Why collaboration is so difficult to do well.
- The most important ingredient of great collaboration.
- Whether collaboration and competition mutually exclusive.
- How to shift from collabor(h)ate to collaborGREAT.
- The factors you should consider before saying ‘yes’ to collaboration.
- The importance of good communication, and storytelling in successful collaboration.
All things Deb:
The Mashek Matrix: https://debmashek.lpages.co/mashekmatrix
Want to get better at finding and sharing your stories then check out our FREE Five Day Snackable Story Challenge
Practice your speaking & test your content in a safe space in The Speaking Club ‘Live’ Membership
Want to create a signature talk that sells, then check out our Nail Your Signature Talk in 60 Days programme.
Want to find out about working with me 121 then book a call here.
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at https://www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.