Engaging Ostriches and Speaking about Super Wicked Problems with Catherine Weetman - 260
The ‘path of most resistance’ - that is essentially what Catherine Weetman faces as a specialist in the area of regeneration and the circular economy.
She talks to organisations about the need to ditch outdated business models and go beyond current thinking. She also challenges current practices around product life cycles and materials, and shares practical and meaningful strategies and plans for becoming more sustainable in a world with dwindling natural resources.
All of this is so that they are able to survive and prosper in the changing environmental and consumer landscape, and they also contribute to averting the wider peril affecting all of us.
Catherine is an Award-winning author, keynote speaker and circular economy strategic advisor, and she is fascinated by the 'sweet spot' where strategy, stakeholder value and sustainability come together. Her award-winning A Circular Economy Handbook, published by Kogan Page, is now in its 2nd edition, and she hosts the popular Circular Economy Podcast, with listeners in over 150 countries.
Catherine has been speaking about this topic for over 10 years and has evolved her content and delivery over that time to better connect with her audience where they are, in order to start them on the journey to where they need to be.
If you are looking for a great example of someone who makes the complex and abstract simple, engaging and relatable then you will love this episode. Not only will you broaden your knowledge in the area of the circular economy, but you will pick up some great speaking tips to boot!
What you’ll discover:
- What started Catherine on her circular economy journey.
- What made her go all in and what happened as a result.
- What a ‘super wicked problem’ is and why that definition matters.
- How Catherine communicates the one idea that businesses need to understand in order to shift perspective and start taking action.
- Why companies should look to lead in the area of sustainability, rather than following the crowd.
- What the ‘circular economy’ actually means.
- Identifying and tackling the myths around sustainability.
- The challenges Catherine has encountered getting people and companies on board.
- How Catherine has switched up her content and delivery style as a result of facing these challenges.
- The part that speaking has played in getting her message out there and building her authority and consultancy practice
All things Catherine:
The Circular Economy Podcast - https://www.rethinkglobal.info/circular-economy-podcast/
Books & Resources*:
Rype Office https://www.rypeoffice.com/
Comedian Mark Steel – on BBC Radio 4 with Mark Steel’s In Town https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rtbk8/episodes/guide
Want to get better at finding and sharing your stories then check out our FREE Five Day Snackable Story Challenge
Practice your speaking & test your content in a safe space in The Speaking Club ‘Live’ Membership
Want to create a signature talk that sells, then check out our Nail Your Signature Talk in 60 Days programme.
Want to find out about working with me 121 then book a call here.
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at https://www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.