Exploratory Writing and the Truth About Business Books with Alison Jones - 262
When you have a big idea and message to share, and you want to get it out to more people you have so many more channels available today for achieving that.
Regardless of the number of platforms at your fingertips, your choice really comes down to two options - do you communicate one to many using speaking or writing?
For business, two of the best options available are creating a talk or writing a business book.
Over recent times, with the advent of the internet and self-publishing, both of these have become more accessible.
There is also a symbiosis between a book and a talk, with one being a vehicle to promote the other.
The reality is, to have the biggest impact and reach the most people you probably should have both.
That’s why I’ve invited Alison Jones, founder of Practical Inspiration Publishing, advocate of business books, Judge of the Business Book Awards and host of The Extraordinary Business Book Club, podcast onto the show.
She is a veteran of the publishing industry, having worked at big names like Chambers, Oxford University Press and Macmillan (as Publisher and then Director of Innovation Strategy at Palgrave Macmillan).
She regularly speaks and blogs on the publishing industry, and is also an author in her own right.
She is going to be taking us behind the scenes in the publishing industry and answering lots of questions you may have about business book writing and speaking.
What you’ll discover:
- Why Alison is such a champion of business books.
- Whether the proliferation of business books has cheapened the value of becoming an author.
- How business book authors should use stories.
- The biggest mistakes authors make when writing a business book.
- Whether business authors need a talk.
- What should come first, the ‘talk’ or the ‘book’
- What ‘exploratory’ writing is and how it can help you.
- How to do it.
- What made Alison decide to write a book about it.
- What part speaking plays in getting Alison’s own message out there.
All things Alison:
Alison’s Podcast: http://extraordinarybusinessbooks.com/podcast-episodes/
Books & Resources*:
Want to get better at finding and sharing your stories then check out our FREE Five Day Snackable Story Challenge
Practice your speaking & test your content in a safe space in The Speaking Club ‘Live’ Membership
Want to create a signature talk that sells, then check out our Nail Your Signature Talk in 60 Days programme.
Want to find out about working with me 121 then book a call here.
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at https://www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc. Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.