Stop Being Humble and Step into Your Power with Lisa Bragg - 277
We have been conditioned since childhood to keep quiet about our achievements. We are taught things like, ‘nobody likes a show off’, ‘stay humble’ and ‘self praise is no praise’. And the majority of us conform, stay quiet, assuming that our good work will be noticed, and we will get our reward in good time.
When we see those people who are shameless self promoters we judge them and ‘tut’ and assume that they will be smited by the God of Humility… (whilst secretly wishing people knew about the great things we had done).
But then we notice they are not being called out or shamed for being a ‘show off’, in fact they’re getting more attention, and they are the ones getting rewarded with promotions, or new clients.
And then we get frustrated, bitter, and envious, which affects the way we are being and communicating and turns people off. Or … we go out all guns blazing and tell everyone everything we ever done all at once… which also puts people off.
The big question is … why are we told that we should stay quiet and humble when it harms rather than helps? And how can we share our authority, and experience
Well that is what my guest Lisa Bragg is here to answer for us. Lisa has literally written the book on how to talk about success. Her book Bragging Rights: How to Talk about Your Work Using Purposeful Self-Promotion launched in May.
In addition to being an author, she is a speaker, advisor, professional mentor and founder of MediaFace, a Toronto-based content and consulting firm. She was also a
TV reporter and anchor for 15 years.
I hope this show helps you step out of the shadows and share all the excellent stuff you are up to!
What you’ll discover:
- The catalyst for Lisa to embrace ‘bragging’ and why she had avoided it before.
- Why Lisa believes that modesty is a negative habit?
- The double standards at play in society when it comes to bragging and ‘the range of acceptable behaviour’.
- Why you shouldn’t market yourself for where you have been and what you should do instead.
- The myths around bragging that could be holding you back.
- Why finding a partner can help you with promotion.
- The three biggest mistakes people making around bragging.
- Three tips for promoting yourself the right way.
- How Lisa uses speaking in her business.
All things Lisa:
Books & Resources*:
Want to get better at finding and sharing your stories then check out our FREE Five Day Snackable Story Challenge
Practice your speaking & test your content in a safe space in The Speaking Club ‘Live’ Membership
Want to create a signature talk that sells, then check out our Nail Your Signature Talk in 60 Days programme.
Want to find out about working with me 121 then book a call here.
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
· Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
· Leave an honest review at https://www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
· Subscribe on iTunes.
*(please note if you use my link I get a small commission, but this does not affect your payment)