[Insights] on Making Complex Ideas Simple, Relatable and Engaging
Over my career, I’ve worked with lots of scientists, IT specialists and engineers, and I know that sometimes it can be challenging to communicate complicated concepts and ideas in a way that’s simple enough for your audience to understand. However, those people who can do this successfully stand out from the crowd and are sought after as speakers and leaders.
That’s why in this insights episode, I’ve reached into the archives and picked extracts from my episodes tackling this issue, alongside those from other experts spanning the disciplines of science, engineering and law who have developed a reputation, or had success in making the complex compelling to the layperson.
You’re going to get ideas, tools and techniques for making your presentations scintillating and accessible for audiences, even if the information you’re sharing is highly technical.
What you’ll discover:
- How facts and technical details can get in the way of the message.
- What Karin did differently to prepare for her presentation.
- How stories and metaphors can work in a technical presentation.
- Why you’ve got to kill your darlings.
Sarah Archer (Technically Speaking!):
- Tools that you can use to present your data in a way that engages your audience.
- Why stories are vital to make difficult content engaging.
- Why keeping detailed notes in a separate handout can help audiences to engage with your content in the moment.
- Why you should aim to be able to summarise your content in a sentence.
- What makes a great speaker.
- The importance of having a structure, frameworks and stories
- How humour can help with taboo topics.
- Why you need the loo before a big talk.
Sarah Archer (Can You Make Boring Subjects Sexy?):
- Why there are no boring subjects
- How you can make ordinary extraordinary
- The three laws involved in making a message go viral and how they apply to your speaking
- The three tools you can use to make any topic sexy
All things Karin:
All things Malcolm:
email: [email protected]
All things Katherine:
Books and resources*:
Sarah’s Books and Resources:
Full Episode Links
Want to get better at finding and sharing your stories then check out our FREE Five Day Snackable Story Challenge
Practice your speaking & test your content in a safe space in The Speaking Club ‘Live’ Membership
Want to create a signature talk that sells, then check out our Nail Your Signature Talk in 60 Days programme.
Want to find out about working with me 121 then book a call here.
Thanks for listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
To help the show out:
- Leave an honest review at https://www.ratethispodcast.com/tsc Your ratings and reviews really help get the word out and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.